- •Idiopathic congenital abdominal aortic aneurysm (CAAA) is an extremely rare condition.
- •A CAAA with multiple aneurysms was detected.
- •The CAAA was successfully repaired with a Dacron graft.
- •Aneurysms of the left renal and middle meningeal arteries increased post-operatively.
- •Frequent multimodality follow up imaging for multiple aneurysms is necessary.
|Author||Gender||Age at discovery||Location||Other aneurysms||Symptoms related to aneurysms||Surgical treatment||Outcome|
|1 Howorth Jr MB||Female||1 day||Infrarenal||None||Large abdominal mass, vomiting, anorexia||Exploratory laparotomy||Ruputure and death during Operation|
|2 Darden WA||Male||2.5 years||Infrarenal||None||None||Dacron aortic graft||Died of Pneumonitis at 5 months after surgery|
|3 Sterpetti AV||Male||19 years||Infrarenal||None||Middle epigastric pain, abdominal fullness, dysuria, abdominal pulsatile mass||Dacron aortic graft 18 mm||Healthy at 9 years after surgery|
|4 Odagiri S||Male||1 year||Infrarenal||Multiple left renal artery aneurysrre, bilateral corrmon iliac artery aneurysms||None||Dacron aortic graft 12 mm||Healthy at 10 months after surgery|
|5 Latter D||Male||1 month||Infrarenal||None||Pulsatile abdominal mass||Polytetrafluoroethylene tube graft 8 mm||Healthy at 10 months after surgery|
|6 Saad SA||Male||6 weeks||Infrarenal||Left common iliac artery aneurysm mass||Pulsatile abdominal mass||Aneurysmorrhaphy||Healthy at 3 months after surgery|
|7 Myrmel T||Male||30 years||Infrarenal||None||Pulsatile abdominal mass, acute abdominal pain||Albumin coated USCI graft sized 16×8 mm||Healthy at 1 year after surgery|
|8 Malee MP||Female||32 weeks' gestation||Juxtarenal||Aneurysmal dilation of the bilateral iliac artery (details unknown)||Palpable abdominal mass, ileus compression from an aneursysm||None||Died of acute pulmonary hypertension and cardiac dysfuncticn at age 9 days|
|9 Kim ES||Female||9 days||Juxtarenal||None||None||None||Died of heart failure secondary to renovascular hypertension at age 20 days|
|10 Mehall JR||Male||6 weeks||Juxtarenal||Right common iliac artery aneurysm||None||Bifurcated Gore-Tex graft 7-4 mm||Healthy at 1 month after surgery|
|11 Laing AJ||Male||12 months||Infrarenal||None||Pale, shocked, in an urresponsive State, vomiting, abdominal distention||Exploratory laparotomy||Rupture and death during operation|
|12 Dittrick K||Male||12 years||Infrarenal||None||None||Collagen impregnated Dacron aortic graft 14 mm||Healthy at 2 years after surgery|
|13 Bell P||Female||1 day||Infrarenal||None||Billous vomiting, large abdominal mass||Cryopreserved allograft 5 mm||Healthy at 14 months after surgery|
|14 Cheung SCW||Male||6 months||Juxtarenal||Bilateral common and external iliac artery aneurysms, right internal iliac artery aneurysm||None||None||Progression of thrombosis of the aneurysm and renal dysfunction at age 3 years|
|15 Buddingh KT||Male||1 day||Juxtarenal||Descending thoracic aortic aneurysm, left common iliac artery aneurysm||Bilous vomiting, anorexia, pulsatile abdominal mass||None||Alive at 7 months, aneurysm has grown to a maximum diameter of 93 mm|
|16 Kim JI||None reported||21 weeks' gestation||Infrarenal||Bilateral common iliac artery aneurysms, left internal iliac artery aneurysm||None||Dacron aortic graft 12 mm||Uneventful postoperative recovery|
|17 Malikov S||Male||28 weeks' gestation||Infrarnal||None||Pulsatile abdominal mass||Repair with native iliac vessels||Healthy at 39 months after surgery|
|18 Cantinotti M||None reported||22 weeks' gestation||Unspecified||None reported||None reported||None reported||None reported|
|19 Tsunematsu R||Male||25 weeks' gestation||Unspecified||None||Pulsatile abdominal mass,||None||Stable after 6 months follow up|
|20 McAteer J||Female||32 weeks' gestation||Thoracoabdominal||None||None||None||Died of rupture at age 4 weeks|
|21 Cho YP||Male||23 months||Infrarenal||None||Irritability, vomiting, poor oral intake, diffuse tenderness, palpable pulsatile abdominal mass||Cryopreserved cadaveric artery 7 mm||Healthy at 10 months after surgery|
|22 Meyers RL||None reported||Neonate||Infrarenal||None||None||Decellularised, antigen reduced cryopreserved allograft||Healthy at 29 months after surgery|
|23 Ko Y||Male||2 months||Supraceliac||Two descending thoracic aortic aneurysms||None reported||Dacron aortic graft 10 mm||Uneventful postoperative recovery|
|24 Fettah ND||Female||1 day||Infrarenal||None||Vomiting, abdominal distention, palpable pulsatile abdominal mass||Repair with polytetrafluorethylene patch||Died of sepsis and cardiopulmonary insufficiency at 4 weeks after surgery|
|25 Bivins HS||Male||19 weeks' gestation||Infrarenal||Iliac artery aneurysms (details unknown)||Large abdominal mass||None||Died of renal failure at age 12 days|
|26 Bansal A||Male||1 year||Infrarenal||None||Abdominal distension||Dacron aortic graft 10 mm||Uneventful postoperative recovery|
|27 Kuboi T||Female||Neonate||Infrarenal||None||Lower back mass (subcutaneous vascular malformation)||None reported||None reported|
|28 Sirisabya A||Female||1 day||Infrarenal||Left common iliac artery aneurysm, two small right renal artery aneurysms||Marked abdominal distension with a large pulsatile mass||Gore-Tex vascular graft||Thrombosis of the aortic graft and bilateral common iliac, internal iliac, and external iliac arteries at 13 months after surgery. Living a fairly normal life at 26 months after surgery|
|29 Higuchi K||Female||4 years||Infrarena||Multiple intracranial aneurysms, bilateral hypogastric artery aneurysms, left renal artery aneurysm||Palpable pulsatile abdominal mass||Dacron aortic graft 10 mm||Aneurysms of the left renal and left middle meningeal arteries were found to have increased and an intracranial arteriovenous fistula was detected. The aneurysms were embolised at 12 to 14 months after surgery. Healthy at 21 months after surgery|
Conflicts of interest
- Diagnosis and treatment of congenital abdominal aortic aneurysm: a systematic review of reported cases.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2015; 10: 4
- Surgical repair of congenital abdominal aortic aneurysm in a 1-year-old child with literature review.J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg. 2017; 22: 176-178
- Congenital abdominal aortic aneurysm discovered incidental to a lower back mass.Pediatr Int. 2018; 60: 98-99
- Congenital abdominal aortic aneurysm in a term neonate: a case report.Asian Biomed (Res Rev News). 2017; 11: 163-167
- Congenital abdominal aortic aneurysm: a case report.J Vasc Surg. 2003; 38: 190-193
- An idiopathic congenital abdominal aortic aneurysm with impending rupture in a 23-month-old boy.J Vasc Surg. 2013; 57: 508-510
- Aortoiliac reconstruction in infants and toddlers: replacement with decellularized branched pulmonary artery allograft.J Pediatr Surg. 2006; 41: 226-229
- Anatomical repair of a congenital aneurysm of the distal abdominal aorta in a newborn.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 50: 1181-1184
- Coarctation repair-redo challenges in the adults: what to do?.J Vis Surg. 2018; 4: 76
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
To submit a comment for a journal article, please use the space above and note the following:
- We will review submitted comments as soon as possible, striving for within two business days.
- This forum is intended for constructive dialogue. Comments that are commercial or promotional in nature, pertain to specific medical cases, are not relevant to the article for which they have been submitted, or are otherwise inappropriate will not be posted.
- We require that commenters identify themselves with names and affiliations.
- Comments must be in compliance with our Terms & Conditions.
- Comments are not peer-reviewed.